Nope, not quite. Before I begin, let me just say that I absolutely suck at this whole blogging thing. Yes, I really do. Seems like it has been forever since I have posted something, yet I am always reading everybody else's. Is that fair? Probably not. So to be fair, I will give a "quick" recap of my life in the last couple of months!
May:
-Spring Semester had finally ended. Needless to say, the all-nighters and craziness was well worth it. This girl got a 4.0 while taking 5 classes, completing a practicum, working, and driving to Yakima 3 times per week for coaching. How do I do it? No idea. Why? Because I want to. How is that for you? (As I write this I cringe at the fact I just used numerics when you are only supposed to do that if the number is above ten... well, I dont care. It is my blog!) I am sorry if this seems a winsy bit boastful- but I cannot help it- I worked my butt off and yes, I did put my grades up on the fridge to remind me every day of why this insanity of going 100 miles per hour fits perfectly in my life.
-May also contained the short lived summer break of 1 week! Yes, one week. Then, it was time for summer school. I never in my life had realized how fast four short weeks could go by when you are in class 3 days a week for 3 hours a day- not to mention that 16 classes worth of work and lecture was shoved into those 4 short weeks. Yikes. Well, I took my ESL class and was able to get some amazing hands-on experience at Ochoa Middle School with students in the ESL classrooms and it was an eyeopening experience for me. Many of these students had just come to America a year or two ago, and others came 3 weeks ago (as of May 7th). All of these students were Spanish speaking and it made me feel a little less anxious to know I have taken 5 years worth of Spanish. I was beyond shocked to see the teacher interaction with the students and how pathetic it was that there wasnt a better teacher out there for these students. I was instantly infuriated with many of the "strategies" the teacher used or lack there of as the students felt bullied (their words- not mine)- it was heartbreaking. Although I just made that very strong claim, I am not in that classroom everyday and probably do not fully understand how an ESL classroom works- but I know for a fact students of any background should not be treated the way they were. Not only did this class pry my eyes open to what is out there in my own district, it opened my heart to the need of students who tend to be "less fortuante" in the education system today. Many of these students had the desire to learn, but were treated like they had little to no brains and that what they did know- didn't matter. It was just, like I said, shocking. This experience has led me to a new path in my education and future career. I have applied and been accepted to become endorsed in ELL education for grades K-8. I am excited to learn more and possibly be able to make a change in such situations.
-I also took a reading endorsment class (my first Master's class ever) and it was AMAZING. Dr. Young is serioulsy one of the best professors I think anyone could ever have. His passion literally flows right through you as he shares his love for literature and children. This class was designed to help teachers understand the multiple ways that non-fiction literature can be used acorss the curriculum. It was something that I felt I would need a little guidance on and this class rocked my socks. Not only did my library grow of about 30 books, but my mind is just overflowing with ideas and strategies now that I cannot wait to try out. Maybe I am being a little optimistic as I am not a teacher yet- but I would love to be able to implement such practices in my future classrooms someday :)
-These classes finished about 4 weeks ago.. and I still have not been able to see my grades, which is quite annoying! Ah!
-Still in the month of May, Jake turned 22!! and has had some amazing career opportunities arise for him- so we will keep our fingers crossed :) Jake also got a 4.0 during the spring and has been just as busy with work and summer school! Which means, little time for "us". BUT.. he never ceased to help me study or push me to do my homework even when I just wanted to take a nap with him or relax and watch a movie... he was keeping my butt in check and I couldnt be more grateful!
-Grandma and I took an amazing day trip together for memorial day to my Grandpa and Uncle's gravesites. I have never met either of them as they had passed on long before my time, but it was a meaningul trip. My grandma and I were able to share laughs and memories about when my mom was a little girl and about my childhood. I had never been to a graveyard before, but let me tell you, I have never felt anything so quickly overcome me emotionally, making me laugh, cry, sob, and even choke on my own spit. Many things happened that day between my grandma and I, and even my uncle and I whom I have never met- things that I will cherish for years to come.
Ok.. on to June!! Wuhoo.. the novel continues!
-Bleh, more summer school- but this was Classroom Assessment. HOLY COW... talk about hot topics and discussions, this class was on fire. There were so many questions I had about our education system today, and my eyes have once again been opened to the insanity of the public education system! Complete and utter CHAOS! I will have to just say, that standardized testing needs a little taste of the crumple, burn, gasoline, and a match process.
-annnd Today was my last day of summer school! I turned in my final portfolio for Assessment and am home free for the summer!! Yes!! home free!!
Exciting plans? Me, no. Never. Ok I lied- I do have a few plans in mind that I would not mind sharing with you!
-Spend endless amounts of hours lounging in/by Jake's pool, reading and eating ranch sunflower seeds
-Read the Twilight Series... yes, I have jumped onto the bandwagon!
-Impatiently wait for the third Hunger Games Book- MockingJay to come out! Of course I pre-ordered it, and yes I did get a letter from the author and my very own mockingjay pin. Yes- please be jealous.
-Get a tan for the first time in years
-Find my old best friend- bikini. Yes, that means hitting the gym after being absent for so loooong. Might be a better thing on the to-do-list for next summer.. but the process starts NOW!
-Go on a camping trip with my lover and spend some great quality time together dreaming about our future and all of the wonderful things it has in store.. ok, I will do the dreaming.. but the quality time is much needed.
-Catch up with old friends- make time to keep in touch.
-Since this will be the first summer in 5 years I have had weekends off.. I need to have some fun! and get out of town!
-and last but not least.. update this damn thing more than once every two months.
Sorry for the extensive novel, I guess that is what happens when I just chug along in life and forget to blog it all :)
So, I think it is now officially time to rock this thing called summer!
Rock it you will! You never do anything half way, I am glad that your goal right now is FUN!!! You have been so busy but what I noticed is that it wasn't all work and more work. You made time for people, especially your Grandma. How wonderful!! Go! Enjoy! Be young, for a couple months anyway, it is all grown up and serious after 22:)
ReplyDeleteNoooo! I think I need to bring by your tupperware bowl and have a nice visit one of these days :)
ReplyDeleteWell aren't you just a busy lady, congrats on the 4.0 and keep it up! The world needs great teachers like you , they make all the difference in the world.
ReplyDeleteAw, Thanks Brent :)
ReplyDelete